The new year is a great opportunity for a fresh start for your EHS team. As a manager, make a commitment to boost employee engagement and accelerate business growth in 2020. Here are some ways to start the new year on the right foot:
1. Assess what went well and what needed improvement over the course of 2019.
Take some time to reflect on the past year. Make a list of team accomplishments that happened during 2019 to use as inspiration for the new year. Also, examine areas where things could have been done differently and how they can be improved in the new year.
During your assessment of 2019, ask yourself questions like:
- How did each employee perform?
- How well did I perform as a manager?
- Did my team meet or exceed our goals?
2. Sit down with each employee to map out quarterly goals for the upcoming year.
This is a critical exercise to set up your staff for success in the new year. Work with your employees to review their achievements from 2019 and determine where they can make improvements in 2020. Make sure they have clear goals and objectives for their projects in the new year, and be sure to articulate your expectations. Now is also a good time to review your staff members’ job descriptions and update them with any new responsibilities they acquired over the course of 2019 or will take on in 2020.
3. Write your own quarterly goals.
Not only do you want to set goals for each of your team members, you also should write goals for yourself. Focus on both business growth goals and management goals. Examine whether you’re having enough one-on-one meetings with your staff members, if you’re giving your employees enough recognition for their accomplishments and hard work, and whether you’re providing team members with sufficient feedback to do their jobs effectively.
4. Meet with your entire team for a 2020 brainstorming and planning session.
Organize a meeting with the whole team to discuss what’s in store for the new year. This is a great time to brainstorm important projects for the new year and pave the way for a successful 2020. This is also a good way to get everyone on the same page with team goals.
Here are some other things you should plan to do to start the new year right:
- Put together plans for potential employee promotions or raises.
- Determine if there are any conferences or other training events your staff could benefit from attending.
- Look at areas where your team can save the company money. For example, maybe there is a software or online program that you have a subscription for, but are no longer using.
If you’re ready to make 2020 a great year for your EHS team and entire organization, implement these strategies to start the new year on a high note.
Resource: 5 Things You MUST Do to Start the Year Right, The Manager’s Resource Handbook, ManagerResourceHandbook.com.